Tasting Notes – Linkwood-Glenlivet 20 Year Old 1995 55.5%
Creamy with lots of vanilla, pineapple, sweet floral notes and lime.
Soft pepper, sweet honey, more pineapple and lime and melon.
Coconut:citrus flavours; red grapefruit and whipped cream.
Notes from the bottle
Cadenhead’s Scotland’s Oldest Independent Bottlers, Campbeltown.
William Cadenhead Limited, Wine and Spirit Merchants, was founded in 1842 and was in the ownership of the same family until it was taken over by the well known Campbeltown firm of J & A Mitchell & Co. Ltd who own Springbank Distillery.
William Cadenhead passed away in December 1904 and was succeeded in the business of Wine and Spirit Merchants at 47 Netherkirkgate by his nephew Robert W. Duthie, son of Robert Duthie – Superintendent of the Scottish Orphanage in Bombay. He developed what the firm was most famous for, namely single malt Scotch Whisky and Demerara Rum.
In the early 1960s things began to get worse as the administration side of the business was poorly adhered to and several ill-advised business decisions were made.
The business was suffering and in 1972 there was a two-day sale of the entire stock. The catalogue extended to 167 pages and was, to that date, the largest sale of wines and spirits held in Great Britain. The sale took place in London on 3rd and 4th of October 1972 and resulted in a six-figure surplus over liabilities for the firm.
Eventually the premises were sold to J & A Mitchell & Co Ltd, the proprietors of Springbank Distillery.
There are several Cadenhead’s shops not only in Campbeltown, but in Edinburgh, London and several on continental Europe.
Information from Cadenhead’s.
A local factor, Peter Brown, founded Linkwood in 1821 and made whisky from the barley grown on his land. By 1821 the distillery was making 1,000 gallons a year from 2 stills.
His son William Brown took over in 1869 when his father died and ran the distillery for 35 years. He demolished the original buildings in 1822 and built bigger buildings and produced 50,000 gallons a year. He died in 1893.
Over the years the distillery continued to be bought and sold until the Scottish Malt Distillery Ltd took over in 1933 then when the second world war broke out whisky production stopped.
It re-opened again in 1945, was rebuilt in 1962 and a second distillery with 4 stills was built next to the old buildings.
Top Limited Edition Malt Whisky Core Range